Results from the Make Arbury Road better! ARERA Survey.
The Arbury Road East Residents Association (ARERA) was officially inaugurated on 9 December 2019. ARERA aims to provide a forum for discussion of issues affecting residents and business owners on Arbury road, and its side streets, from the North Cambridge Academy school to the junction at Milton Road.
Residents/business operators have come together to discuss options as it is felt that the use of Arbury Road as a through-route/cut through is not keeping with its designated status – e.g. 20mph designation, its narrow width, multiple schools, shops, popular cyclist route, and a pedestrian zone accessing homes/schools/shops/businesses etc.
Issues discussed at the meeting included:
- views on whether cars should be actively discouraged in an era of climate emergency
- views about lorries not being restricted by weight
- views about bus services
- views about safety and usage of pavements for cycling and parking
- views about whether Arbury road, as currently configured, actually splits the community in two
- views about the safety of Arbury Road junction with Milton Road specifically
- whether people (perhaps older) avoid cycling and walking because they consider it too dangerous
- views on pollution, vibration, and noise
- impact of the Histon Road one-way development and the Milton Road development plans
In this survey, we want to collect your views concerning traffic and road usage from both residents and businesses on/just off Arbury Road, with the aim of trying to develop and present ideas for improvements to the County Council and the Greater Cambridge Partnership.